Chris Kippenberger is a media industry veteran who played a significant role in turning Vice Germany's magazine into a moving image and news organization - working closely with Spike Jones and team. He has collaborated with brands from RollsRoyce to OVO to Luis Vuitton. He's built Vehicule with his wife, Jo, who studied graphic design and visual communication in Switzerland and is the one responsible for making everything the duo creates look great.
On this episode of DTC POD, the Kippenbergers join Blaine & Ramon to talk about turning a $1000 magazine about powerboating and avante garde transportation into a lifestyle brand of choice for billionaires. They've done everything from having a race boat team, a rally car team, to furniture collaborations with Ligne Roset and selling the most expensive cold brew coffee in the world. They discuss their brand's values and approach to collaborations over industry gatekeepers, and the risks involved in pursuing growth. Additionally, we focus on quality and design principles for modern brands.
This is an extremely unique, must listen episode for anyone who's trying to stand out in a copy-cat culture of sameness.
1. Power boating and offshore racing championships
2. Collaboration and strategic partnerships in branding
3. Anti-censorship and pro-freedom values
4. Quality and innovation in consumer products
5. Challenges of motivation and avoiding burnout
[00:05:54] RollsRoyce Project; Underground Zine; $1000 Power Boating Mag.
[00:13:59] High-Quality Consumer Products; Partnerships; Managing Growth and Motivation.
[00:20:15] Boat Racing Team; Car Team; Organic Coffee; Sponsorships.
[00:29:47] Vintage Clip Owners for Commentary; Unique Creation.
[00:35:22] Magazine Cover Collaboration; Partnering with Brands; Building CPG products.
[00:43:50] Reminiscing on Red Bull's Rise to Success.
Shownotes powered by Castmagic
P.S. Get our pod highlights delivered directly to your inbox with the DTC Pod Newsletter!
Episode brought to you by Finaloop, the real-time accounting service trusted by hundreds of DTC Brands. Try Finaloop free - no credit card required. Visit finaloop.com/dtcpod and get 14 days free and a 2-month P&L within 24 hours.
Past guests & brands on DTC Pod include Gilt, PopSugar, Glossier, MadeIN, Prose, Bala, P.volve, Ritual, Bite, Oura, Levels, General Mills, Mid Day Squares, Prose, Arrae, Olipop, Ghia, Rosaluna, Form, Uncle Studios & many more.
Additional episodes you might like:
• #175 Ariel Vaisbort - How OLIPOP Runs Influencer, Community, & Affiliate Growth
• #184 Jake Karls, Midday Squares - Turning Your Brand Into The Influencer With Content
• #205 Kasey Stewart: Suckerz- - Powering Your Launch With 300 Million Organic Views
• #219 JT Barnett: The TikTok Masterclass For Brands
• #223 Lauren Kleinman: The PR & Affiliate Marketing Playbook
• #243 Kian Golzari - Source & Develop Products Like The World's Best Brands
Have any questions about the show or topics you'd like us to explore further?
Shoot us a DM; we'd love to hear from you.
Want the weekly TL;DR of tips delivered to your mailbox?
Check out our newsletter here
Follow us for content, clips, giveaways, & updates!
Chris Kippenberger - Founder of Vehicule