Dylan Menter is the founder and CEO of Bear Balanced, creators of the world's first Creatine Gummy. Prior to starting Bear Balanced, he built rockets at SpaceX, before his CPG side-hustle really started to blast off.
On this episode of DTC POD, Dylan Menter shares his journey from building literal rockets to bootstrapping his own CPG business. We discuss the challenges, research, and scaling up production of his product. We cover everything from patents, to manufacturing, to bootstrapping, to purchase orders, to branding on this info packed episode. Here's a few more key themes we'll dive into:
1. Building in saturated markets
2. Creating a unique product
3. Research and collaboration with professionals
4. Scaling a solo operation
5. Importance of having a stable job
6. Navigating the manufacturing process
7. Patenting and protecting proprietary information.
[00:03:13] Former SpaceX employee creates creatine gummies
[00:10:55] Protecting proprietary formula - patent specific formula researched
[00:20:29] Natural product creation takes year trial, commitment crucial
[00:27:48] Making the gummies involved physical and mental exhaustion
[00:31:59] Find experienced manufacturers in retailers you want to target
[00:38:11] Google Ads aided in brand growth, positive feedback received
[00:43:48] Plans to scale ad platforms & bring in professional athletes
Shownotes powered by Castmagic
P.S. Get our pod highlights delivered directly to your inbox with the DTC Pod Newsletter!
Episode brought to you by Finaloop, the real-time accounting service trusted by hundreds of DTC Brands. Try Finaloop free - no credit card required. Visit finaloop.com/dtcpod and get 14 days free and a 2-month P&L within 24 hours.
Past guests & brands on DTC Pod include Gilt, PopSugar, Glossier, MadeIN, Prose, Bala, P.volve, Ritual, Bite, Oura, Levels, General Mills, Mid Day Squares, Prose, Arrae, Olipop, Ghia, Rosaluna, Form, Uncle Studios & many more.
Additional episodes you might like:
• #175 Ariel Vaisbort - How OLIPOP Runs Influencer, Community, & Affiliate Growth
• #184 Jake Karls, Midday Squares - Turning Your Brand Into The Influencer With Content
• #205 Kasey Stewart: Suckerz- - Powering Your Launch With 300 Million Organic Views
• #219 JT Barnett: The TikTok Masterclass For Brands
• #223 Lauren Kleinman: The PR & Affiliate Marketing Playbook
• #243 Kian Golzari - Source & Develop Products Like The World's Best Brands
Have any questions about the show or topics you'd like us to explore further?
Shoot us a DM; we'd love to hear from you.
Want the weekly TL;DR of tips delivered to your mailbox?
Check out our newsletter here
Follow us for content, clips, giveaways, & updates!